"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

First Aid & CPR

Last Tuesday the park service offered a First Aid and CPR course. Myself and three park service employees took advantage of the first class offered. It was an all day class and I immediately noticed that CPR methods have changed since I was certified about 12 years ago. I never had to use CPR (except once on a cat) and hopefully my new certification will never be needed. But in case someone falls to the floor next to me I will be prepared. I also learned how to use the AED, another thing that has been vastly improved from the gel and paddles from years gone by.
My weekend in Lamar was fairly lackluster. I managed to watch a coyote by Floating Island as well as the regular guys (that would be the elk) hanging out on the Blacktail. Monday was even a slower day. It was my first day out in three months were I didn't even manage to see a coyote. I did, however, stop on a overlook in Lamar and listen to wolves across the Lamar River. I never saw them but they made wonderful music.