"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Monday, December 14, 2009

200th Post!!

This is my 200th posting, which is a whole lot more than I thought I would accomplish. I figured somewhere along the line the blog would go by the wayside but it never did. I enjoy wandering around Yellowstone, taking pictures and putting them on here. I have also met in person and in e-mail some incredible people. So onward I go toward my 300th posting. Hang on people, I'm taking you on a ride with me!

Above is a picture I took of Lamar Valley this morning. It was incredibly windy and small chunks of snow would blow up and over the road. Waves of snow, which looked like moving fabric, winded its way across the road.
This is the Buffalo Ranch in Lamar Valley. If you look at the mountain behind it you can see snow blowing off the side of it. Except for a herd of bison I saw nothing else in Lamar today. It was a quiet day there.....except for the sound of howling wind.

In the vicinity of Little America a herd of bison moved in single file. They started to run and kick up puffs of snow that the wind would blow away. It was a beautiful sight.
The only coyote I saw today was the little guy I saw a week ago with the radio collar by the Tower Ranger Station. The Park Service uses numbers to keep track of certain animals (such as the elk #6 from the Mammoth area who tragically died last February) and unfortunately I don't know his number so until I find that out I decided to call him Digit. He was successfully hunting rodents and I caught him licking his chops after finishing his lunch.

And in case anyone is interested, besides the Blacktail Deer parking area, there are new restrooms at Tower Junction and at the hitching posts at the east end of Lamar.