"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Monday, December 7, 2009

Human Sparkler

I had a change in my work schedule this week and I am working today and having tomorrow off. So I am using my lunch break on the computer. First off, a big "Yellowstone Hello" to Duncan and Marion in Carluke, Scotland!!

I was extremely humbled and appreciative when I checked my e-mail this morning. I received quite a few notes about my posting and pictures yesterday. Thank you to everyone with your kind words and interest. I wake up every morning wondering what interesting things I will experience that day. Some days I see incredible things and some days I think I just pass by incredible things without taking notice. I'm learning to appreciate everything and not take for granted what is here. I want to notice everything and share it. For instance, I would love to bottle up some of this frigid air and share it with everyone.

It was -14 this morning. My furnace will run, shut off for about a minute and then turn back on again. It does that all day and all night. When it was -10 I learned a valuable lesson. If I wash my hands before walking out the door to leave I should dry them thoroughly. I didn't that day and my hand stuck to the doorknob. Also, the air is extremely dry in Mammoth and I have a perpetual case of dry skin and I have become a human sparkler from all the static electricity. I decided this is an area that I can give myself a pass on for needing to appreciate. Just because I am getting zapped in Yellowstone doesn't necessarily make it awesome.