"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Rams At Last!

Either sheer excitement has overtaken me or I've had one too many cans of Mt. Dew. I just can't stop smiling. After my last post I decided to go into Gardiner, keeping an eye on the cliffs (but mostly on the road). I finally spotted a ram! Luckily there was a pull out so I could sit there and watch the ram across the river. As I watched him I started hearing the sound of sliding and falling rocks. Oh oh! My first instinct was to look above my car in fear that I would have some explaining to do to my insurance man (who is probably still recovering from the shock of having $2,000 worth of damage to a vehicle when I hit a raccoon a year ago). Nothing was above me and that is when I saw three more rams coming down from above the ram I was watching.
While I watched these three descend I also happened to notice two more laying on an outcrop above them.
That is when the first ram came down further and started to walk down the road right toward me. He eventually climbed the hill on my side of the road and joined two more rams. I watched the three rams, who were still across the river, ram and butt each other. One decided he had enough and went and grazed by himself while I captured the silhouette of the other two when they took a break from antagonizing each other.

I never made it into Gardiner.