"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Friday, March 26, 2010

Close Encounter

The story I found most interesting (and quite scary) came from a couple guys who came into the store earlier this week. They relayed to Connie how they were tenting at Slough Creek. During the night they hear a bear clawing at their tent. They were prepared with a canister of bear spray but unfortunately as one of the men fumbled with the container he accidently gave himself a good dose of the spray directly into his face. He's not the first person I've heard of getting their face sprayed with bear spray. The other person I know who got a facefull of bear spray is a friend from Canyon who got sprayed when a friend was demonstrating to her how to use it. The friend did then mention something about that being the 3rd time she had accidently sprayed someone. Yikes!
I have bear spray, I've read how to use it but I hope that during a moment of panic I can stay calm enough to spray the bear and not myself. In the case of the men the bear eventually went away but one man had a teary memory of his close encounter with a bear where only a thin piece of nylon seperated him from the it.