"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Year One

It just occurred to me that I have been writing this blog for over a year now. I started March 23, 2009 and here I am a year later. In this past year I have met and worked with some wonderful people, some I may never see again and some that I will be greeting again in April. I've worked as an Associate at Canyon in apparel, grocery, confections and as a hostess in the fountain. I've worked as a Dorm Lead, rang up sales on registers, made some lattes, scooped ice cream, guided guests to the restroom (still the #1 question) and stocked coolers and shelves. I've spent my winter in Mammoth and had the great experience of working a few Taco Tuesdays. I've even made it up to Store Manager (starting next Friday). I've watched the Dorm Bison, felt sorrow when DB was killed - as well as one of the Boys of Summer, watched Bob on the road between Canyon and Norris, marveled at the Magnificent One and was entertained by Big Boy, Trotter and Digit. I even dressed up as a Banana at the employee Christmas Party. Now I will be leaving my new friends at Mammoth and making new ones back at Canyon. Stay tuned for Year Two!!
I took a quick trip to my place during lunch yesterday only to be greeted by Big Boy and friend in the Yak in the 'yard' next to mine. I didn't want to take too long at my place with fear that one of the two would make his way and graze between my front door and my car - thus leaving me unable to make it back to work (this happened once to a friend of mine at Fishing Bridge RV Park when she was heading to work). Luckily both decided to head off in another direction.
Today during my lunch hour I had to head into Gardiner. I had to stop and go around a bighorn sheep standing in the road. It has been awhile since I've seen any sheep on my trips to town.
There is finally a nice layer of snow on the ground here in Mammoth but it is fairly warm so I'm sure it will melt quickly. There was about 6 inches of snow on the top of my car. Hunks would break off and slide down my windshield every time I hit my brakes (which is fairly often when going into Gardiner from Mammoth).
Currently, as I write this, the 3 wolves are laying on the hill just down the hill from Mammoth. They have been regularly seen in the area the past few days. And my lunch break is now over, I guess it's back to work for me and wolf watching later.