"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Pictures From The Interior

First of all I need to thank people for the offers to help me recover my pictures from my snowmobile trip into the interior. As you can see they have been recovered!! (Insert huge sigh of relief here).
My friend Patrick had invited me on a snowmobile trip into the interior (to Lake to be exact). At this point in my Yellowstone adventure this has to top all my experiences thus far. My first notable sighting was a lone bison before Roaring Mountain. Could it be the Magnificent One that I had watched the last few months of summer in that area? I don't know but I've decided that I will always consider a lone bison in that area the Magnificent One.
Robyn in Hayden Valley

Robyn at the Adventure Store
My new summer home.


YGS at Canyon Village

With the snow it was hard for me to imagine my past summer here with the doors open, the summer thunder storms, watering the flowers out front and pumping out the ice cream cones to cool down the guests.
The Yellowstone River above the Upper Falls

The Yellowstone River had numerous swans swimming in it. I saw quite a few in Hayden Valley down toward the bridge by the Upper Falls. Beautiful birds! Every time we passed open water we looked for otters swimming but only managed to find one on our way back to Mammoth. We stopped to watch the otter which didn't seem to realize that it was supposed to entertain us with the normal otter antics. It just hung out under an ice overhang on the river's edge and really didn't do much of anything. But I can now say I have finally saw an otter. And of course we saw it by Otter Creek.
The Upper Falls

The Lower Falls

The Lower Falls
I remember hearing the falls in my dorm room at Canyon. I also remember thinking it sounded like an airplane. Though there is quite a bit of ice on the waterfall we could still hear the thundering sound of the falls.

Coyote in Hayden Valley
I can't imagine going anyplace now without seeing a coyote. I saw a couple on my way down to Lake but this was the only one I saw in Hayden Valley.
Beautiful Snowy White Hayden Valley
What can I say? I love Hayden Valley and it was a thrilling experience to see it in winter. There was only small bison herd in the valley and it was at quite a distance.
Hayden Valley
On our way past the Nez Perce area we had to slowly follow 3 bison who slowly ran in front of us for quite a distance. One large bull ran while two others bumped and butted each other in what appeared to be a rather playful attempt at entertainment. They eventually left the roadway and let us pass.

Heading East by Yellowstone Lake

View of Yellowstone Lake from Lake Butte
The sun was going down by this time and the sky was pink over a frozen Yellowstone Lake. What a view!!!