"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Monday, March 15, 2010

Wolves of the Morning

Bison have moved into the Yak. Big Boy is there with a couple of his friends. They usually are lounging at the end of the road and leaving huge bison tracks in the mud by my car. I have been waiting for them. The elk move through on occasion but I mostly see a huge herd on my way down the hill to Mammoth. Yesterday morning I could hear yips and howls outside. Not sure if I was listening to some mouthy coyotes or wolves I went to my kitchen window and peaked out. There were 3 wolves in the opening enjoying themselves and doing a lot of communicating. I watched them for awhile and then just sat down and listened. What a great experience to see and hear them from my place.
With the hotel closed in Mammoth I realize how much I miss seeing the familiar faces of people who work there and come into the store on a regular basis. One thing about living in the Park and moving back and forth between locations is that a person can see people for a few months and then not see them again for months. Some of the Xanterra employees that I've gotten to know here in Mammoth will be in Canyon for the summer so I hopefully will run into them again this summer. Some I will not see again until next November. The same goes for the park service employees that I've gotten to know.