"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Monday, March 22, 2010

Empty Pages

Yellowstone Greetings to: Maryellen, Jonathon, Becci, Jayson & Diana. Thanks to all of you for writing! After a week of sunny and fairly warm weather I awoke to snow. Not much is sticking to the ground here in Mammoth but it is beautiful to watch it fall. It will probably snow just enough for the mud outside my place to get nice and gooey again. Such is life.

On my way to work I had to stop as 2 playful bison ran up the road. I have been constantly seeing 3 of them outside the North Gate grazing as well as the antelope and elk. They have now moved up toward the Yak by the terraces. Their huge husky bodies are all snow covered and they look very regal standing there with the terraces as a backdrop. Incredible animals.
The winter season is slowly winding down and I miss the rumbles of the snowcoaches going by and the excited tourists as they plan their trips to Old Faithful. The tours that come in always put a bit of excitement in the day and we've even had a few incredibly busy Fountain days because of photography groups coming into the Park. There are only 3 more Taco Tuesdays left. The end is in sight. I will be heading down to start at the Adventure Store April 9 and there I will start my new Yellowstone chapter. If my life was a book I have a whole lot of empty pages yet to fill!