"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness


I went to Bozeman today and the scenery from the Park to Bozeman is gorgeous. Just north of Gardiner is Yankee Jim Canyon. Right across the Yellowstone River the old railroad bed where the train ran to bring tourists to Yellowstone. The railroad was built by Jay Cooke. There is a state park back in Minnesota just north of Duluth named in his honor. There is also a visitor center in the canyon (which I missed) that explains the history of the canyon (7,000 years!).

I also enjoy driving through the Bridger Mountains over Bozeman Pass. I love the mountains and there is always a new vista around every turn and over every mountain.

On my way back to the Park, just north of Gardiner, I saw smoke rising out of the trees on a mountain. Further down the road there was a sign on the road that said: Natural fire, do not report. I saw a sign like that in Lamar earlier this year.

Elk in the Gardner River

The Gardner River is spelled differently than Gardiner. I have read a few different stories on the difference and I'm not sure which one is true. I'll have to look into that. Anyway, between Gardiner and Mammoth I can across a herd of elk along the Gardner River. There was also a huge bull elk with the ladies (not pictured in this particular picture). You can also see that some of the foilage is beginning to turn colors. Most plants are turning yellow but up by Sylvan Pass I saw some plants that were red. I wish I knew more about botany.