"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Friday, September 4, 2009

The News From Here

For the second time this year there has been a suicide in Canyon. Last night a man committed suicide in the Canyon Village parking lot. I heard the sirens last night but it wasn't until today that I was informed what had taken place. Yellowstone is a beautiful place and for some it is a place that they have decided they should die. I will make no judgement about his decision but I do hope he has found peace and that his family and friends find some comfort in knowing that the people of Yellowstone are thinking about them at this time.

There was also a head-on collision between Hayden Valley and Fishing Bridge last night. One of my co-workers, Dave, had to wait a couple hours until the ambulances, fire trucks and wreckers could clear the scene. No one I have talked to know the condition of the car occupants but we hope they are doing well.

Our company newsletter, Geyser Gazette, has small article put out by the NPS. It is about how tourism in the park skyrocketed this year. July set an all time record for tourists, 900,515. January to July total is 1,901,395. No one knew for sure how tourism in the park would be this year so 20% less employees were hired. We worked our butts off this summer.

I worked my entire shift at a register in groceries. This Sunday the campground in Canyon will close, as will the cabins, so we are expecting the grocery department to slow down. It was quite steady today. This weekend will be the last hurrah of the season for many.

After work Carl took me out to dinner at Roosevelt Lodge. I had a great dinner of prime rib while he had barbecued chicken. What a fabulous meal!! As we ate we could look out over the mountains and we watched some of the horses pull a wagon in. Great food and conversation. Thanks Carl!

It's interesting how life can change when you live in YNP. I am a news and weather buff, it was always the first thing I checked out in the morning. In the past 4 months I have rarely seen the tv. I am in a news black hole. My weather report comes from me opening my shades in the morning. In Yellowstone the only news needed is what I see from a pullout in Hayden Valley, or the thunderstorm I can see and hear coming across from the west, and the bears and wolves I see out my car window or the bison standing behind the dorm. And that's the news from here, Yellowstone National Park.