"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Smoke on the Village


Smoke Smothered Canyon Village

This is a view of Canyon Village from the west this morning. I awoke to the smell of smoke and when I went outside I saw that the visibility of Mt. Washburn was obscured by smoke. I drove down to Hayden Valley and saw that a blanket of smoke was covering the valley. Right now there are a few of us with burning noses and eyes.


Last Nights View of the Fire From Hayden Valley

The smoke was really towering high last night. And I also noticed that the fire had spread further to the west. I had reports yesterday morning from visitors that they could hardly see Yellowstone Lake through the smoke. The road between Fishing Bridge and Grant was eventually closed in the afternoon. It was creating havoc for awhile, people on their way to Grant where having to find alternate routes there. What is usually a hour drive became a 7 hour drive out and around the Park. It was even worse for those heading to the Tetons. The road was eventually reopened in the early evening.

While I was taking this picture a coyote came strolling by. I stopped taking pictures of the smoke and aimed my camera for the coyote. It was a nice distraction for awhile.