"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Sunday, September 6, 2009

B.O.B.

Let me introduce you to B.O.B. (Big Old Beast). Bob is the bison that has taken up residence between Norris and Canyon. He is constantly wandering back and forth on the road and I've been seeing him on a regular basis for over a week now. Since I see him so often I figured I would differentiate him by assigning him a name. Earlier this summer I saw him a couple times rubbing against trees on that corridor but he really likes to show off now. Next week I'll take a picture of Bob and post it so that you can all see that he looks pretty much like every other bull bison out there.

Because of a conversation that I had yesterday with a guest I figured I would post a couple other tips.

Tips #1: No matter how tempting it may be don't speed in the Park. The rangers don't fool around with speeders. There is no such thing as a warning here, it is an immediate ticket and I believe they start out at $220. Every day I watch as numerous people are pulled over by the Canyon Jct. because of speeding, sometimes with the sirens it can sound like the inner city. Most areas the posted speed limit is 45 with areas that reduce to 35 and around the village areas it can go down to 25.

I didn't get further than 3 blocks out of the Park the first couple months of being here. When I first went to Cody I hit an area where the speed limit is 65 mph and after going at a top speed of 45 mph for those two months it really felt like I was flying.

Tips #2: Breaking YNP rules (such as approaching wildlife) can get your name on file for 5 years and if it is a serious enough situation you can be banned from all national parks for 5 years. Once your name is on file for those 5 years if you break any other rules the 5 year ban can go into effect. Plus there is the potential for a huge fine and having to appear in court at Mammoth. Any employees in the Park will be terminated from employment plus have their name on file with the park service. Someone I know this year got their name on that 5 Year List when they approached wildlife too closely.