"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Farewell to the Dorm Bison


Sylvan Lake
I actually took this picture July 15, you can see there was still snow on the mountain at that time. Sylvan Lake is one of the most picturesque mountain lakes that I have seen in the Park.

Rain Over Hayden Valley



It is thundering out right now and I've been watching the lightening over the Washburn Range. I love the sound of thunder. Earlier this evening I went to Hayden but my time there was cut short as it started to rain there. It hasn't rained in Canyon yet, just to the north and south of here. Rain and cooler weather is expected for the next couple of days. I guess the season is finally changing to fall.

With the change of the seasons comes the change of location for the wildlife. I was only able to spot 3 bison in all of Hayden Valley. They must be on the move and on my day off maybe I'll be able to locate them. I did manage to see a herd of elk in Hayden, as well as the local herd near Canyon. I also took some time to stop and photograph a raven sitting on a rock as well as an eagle perched in a tree. The pelicans are gone now, I miss seeing them.

My co-worker, Bill, just returned from Hayden Valley. He reported that a car collided with a bison 1 mile south of Canyon. The parties in the car are ok but the bison is dead. I'm glad to hear that there were no serious injuries to the people in the car, but I'm saddened because on my way back from Hayden I watched this particular bison. To make matters even sadder it is the Dorm Bison (it is at least one of the 3 that come to visit). My co-workers and I have come to love the wildlife that visit our little corner Yellowstone. We marvel at them, adore them, respect them and we do feel a deep sorrow when something that we've watched all summer is suddenly gone forever. Good bye Dorm Bison, thanks for making us all smile.

The Park is still very busy. We all had expected it to slow down after the Labor Day weekend but the store is still all abuzz with people and The Fountain is filled to capacity during the day. This year has been full of surprises with the exceptionally high amount of visitors in the Park and we are continuing to be surprised.