"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Fire by Bridge Bay


Robyn, Jackie & Dave at Yellowstone Lake with Fire

On my way heading west over Sylvan Pass today I noticed a white cloud. As I drove further I noticed that it was darker towards the bottom. That's when I realized that there was a fire in YNP. I stopped at Lake Butte Overlook and got a good view of the fire. By the time I made it to Fishing Bridge it had obviously grown, and when I got to Hayden Valley and looked back it had even gotten even bigger. I eventually learned that the fire was about 5 miles SW of Bridge Bay.

I returned to Canyon and picked up Jackie and Dave and we headed back to Hayden Valley and eventually drove further south and stopped along the lake. We could see the flames high up and hear the sounds of the fire. Since no roads were closed and traffic was moving smoothly we proceeded further and were able to get into a pullout close to the fire where the smoke billowed up and over us. We watched a plane circling the fire.

The Mt. Washburn webcam is aimed at the fire and it will be interesting to see the size tomorrow. Hopefully it will be smaller.