"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Take My Breath Away


Natural Fire by Gardiner

The fire that I saw by Gardiner last Thursday is still burning. This is a picture I took this morning of the smoke rising from it.



Devil's Slide

This an interesting slice of geological history. It shows the workings of erosion. I took this picture in the afternoon when there was too many shadows to show the true look of Devil's Slide. I have passed this on a few occasions on my way to Bozeman and today I finally took the time to read the sign.

As much as I love the drive to Cody I have become equally enamored with the drive to Bozeman. The mountain scenery is incredible. Especially between Gardiner and Livingston. The Bozeman Pass is equally as beautiful. The valley by the Yellowstone River was dotted with antelope and I had a mule deer buck run to the side of the road and then thought better of trying to cross. It was a perfect, clear blue day with temps in the 80's. I opened the sunroof, played my music a little too loud, and admired my backdrop of mountains. I was in heaven.


In the Park I also noticed that The Magnificent One, though a little bit of a loner and stays a comfortable distance from the other bison, has collected a couple more friends. There are now three more for a total of four. Maybe the original Magnificent Seven are collaborating again and ready to interfere with the flow of traffic in the Roaring Mountain area. As for Bob, he seems to be keeping to himself somewhere in the wooded area between Norris and Canyon. I haven't seen him in a couple days.