"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Masses


Neal & Dave

Here are a couple of my co-workers. Neal is from France and Dave from the Tennessee. Dave came the same day I did, May 12, and is currently a server in The Fountain. Neal came in mid-June and started out as a custodian and is now a cook. Neal will be leaving on Friday. I'll hate to see him go.



Robyn With Bison in Elk Park

After work I took a drive down to Elk Park. The same bison is there every time and I decided to whip out my little tripod, put it on the hood of the car and use the timer to take a picture of myself and the bison. I was far enough away from him to be legal yet far enough away from the camera so that my terrible case of 'hat hair' wasn't so apparent. I then went down to Gibbon Meadows and tried to take a few pictures of the sun setting behind the thermal feature using the different settings on my camera. After loading them on my computer and taking a good look at them I decided I needed to break down and drag out the instruction manual. They were either too dark or too light. If I could merge them together they would be perfect.

We awoke to very thick fog this morning. It was a really wet, heavy, damp morning. It started to clear up at about 10:00 when the sun finally broke out. The afternoon was cooler than yesterday and we had a few showers. Yet in Bozeman it was 85 degrees.

I can't even begin to explain how busy the Park is. Even longtime visitors here are surprised at the masses. Laura, the Sporting Goods Store manager, went through Mammoth today and said the cars coming into the Park were lined up from the entrance booth half way back to the arch. Xanterra decided to keep their cabins open 2 weeks longer than planned in Canyon and all 180 of them are booked solid for the next couple of weeks. I worked in The Fountain as a cashier (I have to wear my hair up and have a hot on.....thus the hat hair) and it was nonstop all day. I like being busy but I do have to add that I got off work totally worn out today.