"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Sunday, September 6, 2009


Grocery



The Bull Pen


The Fountain


Confections


These are pictures of the Yellowstone General Store in Canyon Village where I work. When I mention some of the areas in the store it will give you an idea of what I am talking about. As you see this store is nothing like most of the other stores in the Park. The design of the store reflects the Mission 66 period. Mission 66 was a project to upgrade the Park in 10 years (1956 - 1966) by building new concessions, roads, bringing in new power and telephone lines, and building new visitor centers. With more and more vehicles coming into the Park the improvements were badly needed. So when the store was remodeled again a few years ago it was decided that it should have the 1950's/1960's feeling. Part of me really likes the old log type buildings (such as Fishing Bridge) and part of me likes the bright feeling of this store. (YGS at Lake is being remodeled at this moment. It will be interesting to see the 'new' look it will have for next year).

Today I started out for 3 hours in the Bull Pen. It was incredibly busy and we had to hustle to keep the lines moving. I prefer to have it busy so it was comfortably busy for me. Then I was moved over to The Fountain to hostess. I was asked to come back tonight to hostess for the dinner crowd. It was busy once again this evening (back-to-back seatings for a group of 12 then a group of 24!). I really enjoy hostessing, it is rather fun but I do leave The Fountain with the lingering scent of cheeseburger.