"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Saturday, September 5, 2009

A view across the Yellowstone River from Mud Volcano.

I stopped at Obsidian Creek last week. A trail in the area had been closed due to bear activity so I was doing a lot of looking behind, beside and in front of me when I walked down to this area.


Here are some of my human friends from this summer in Yellowstone: Mickie & Jeannie. Both have gone home now but I'm hoping to stay in contact with them. Hello Mickie & Jeannie!

I found out today that my digital camera cannot withstand a 3 foot fall to the pavement. My digital camera is a thing of the past. I will not be able to replace it until next Wednesday when I go to drop off some of our international workers at the Bozeman airport. Being in Yellowstone without a camera is like.........like.....like being on earth without oxygen. It's just wrong on so many levels.

I've been quite a few e-mails from people with questions about visiting Yellowstone. Keep them coming and I am more than willing to help with ideas and suggestions. When shopping in any of the stores in the park I thought I would share a couple tips. Those of you who have been here probably have experienced some of these already.

Tip #1: The NPS requires everyone to show ID every time when purchasing alcohol in Yellowstone. Luckily most everyone who is of obvious age finds this a little amusing and is glad to show their ID.

Tip #2: If your credit card is not signed you will be asked for a photo ID with a signature on it. There are quite a few unsigned credit cards out there and if it's dropped in the parking lot someone else can sign it and use it. As long as the signatures match that's all that needs to be checked. A signed credit card that is dropped and tried to be used by someone else is a different story, an on-the-ball cashier will notice the difference in signatures. No one is trying to be a pain with the signature checking, it's for your protection. Also, spouses are not allowed to sign for a card in their spouses name. Blame the ID thieves for the stricter policies.

Top 4 questions I'm asked numerous times a day:

#1: Where is the bathroom?
#2: How do I get to the canyon?
#3 : Do you work here? (This one gets me every time since there are at least 20 of us wearing the same uniform in the store at any given time. We also wear name tags and I'm usually stocking gifts when asked.)
#4: What is there to see here?