"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Bison Superhero

At work today I found myself back in Confections as a barista. It has been quite some time since I have worked in Confections and I had a good time making coffee though I did experience technical difficulties in my foaming abilities for the cappuccinos. During my shift I was called to the loading dock. The Dorm Bison was making an appearance in the back of the store and had stopped to get a drink from a puddle. He then wandered up to the dorm. We moved from the loading dock to the back windows of the store to watch him. We were eventually joined by guests who figured we had to be standing there watching something interesting. The Dorm Bison finally moved off and around to the back of the dorm. It's always great to see him.

I went to Mammoth after work where I saw a huge herd of elk on Swan Lake Flat. The herd was being carefully guarded by a big bull that spent his entire time trotting around making sure all his ladies stayed in the group. He was one busy fellow.

On my way back to Canyon I drove south toward Norris. As I came around a bend in the road there he was.....The Magnificent One! Walking down the road in my lane with a car stopped in the other lane. Oh Crud! Which is not actually what I said but this is a family-friendly blog. I slammed on the brakes and if his eyes weren't on the side of his head I would of looked straight into them. Every mention of him in the pages of this blog flashed before my eyes. The other car moved forward which gave me time to swerve into the other lane and prevent a collision with my huge, hairy friend. I don't think I even have to mention how I would of felt if I had hit a bison, especially The Magnificent One. He is kind of like a bison superhero to me.

Then there was the coyote on Blacktail Plateau who darted in front of my car last night. I seem to really be seeing the coyotes lately. I even saw another one this morning. Anyway, I was just driving along when he just popped out of the brush and across the road. I braked and fumbled for my camera. This summer I really realized just how long it takes to it turn on and get focused on something (something to keep in mind next time I buy a camera) so I only managed to get a great shot of his backside as he wandered off into the brush. To top off the evening I saw a large herd of elk on Dunraven Pass.